A beautiful temple housing the idols of Nandadulal Jiu and Radharani is situated at a place called Saibon or Saibona in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal. This is the third Krishna idol after Ballavji of Serampore and Shyamsundarji of Khardah.
A beautiful nabaratna (nine pinnacled) temple, like that of the famous Dakshineswar Temple is situated in Talpukur area of the subdivisional town of North 24 Parganas – Barrackpore just by the sides of the Ganges. The temple is dedicated to Goddess Annapurna.
There are many Kali temples in Cossipore-Baranagar area of which the Kali temple in Baranagar bazaar is more than two hundred years old. Founded in 1781, this temple is located at the crossing of Gopal Lal Thakur Road and Kashinath Datta Road. The presiding deity is Maa Siddheswari.
There are a number of Kali temples in Baranagar which are more than hundred years old of which Siddheswari Kalibari in Kutighat is one. Built by zamindar Joy Narayan Bandopadhyay in 1843, the temple is one hundred and seventy five years old. A road – Joy Narayan Banerjee Lane – in Baranagar is named after him. He was a very pious and religious man.
There are a number of temples in Cossipore Baranagar area of which Pramanik Kali Bari of 225, Pramanik Ghat Road, Kolkata – 700036 deserves mention. The temple was established in Maghi purnima tithi of 1259 Bangabda, which, according to Gregorian calendar comes to 1852.
26 Shiv Mandir at Ramhari Biswas Ghat Road, Khardah in North 24 Parganas by the side of the Ganges is a protected monument under Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) (Kolkata circle).
There are a number of Kali temples in and around Calcutta (now Kolkata); of which some were pretty old. A number of Kali Mandir are situated by the side of Hooghly river near Baranagar in North 24 Parganas district of West Bengal like Joy Mitra Kali Bari (Kripamayee Kali) of 1850; Pramanik Kali Bari (Brahamayee Kali) of 1853 and Dakshineswar Kali Mandir (Maa Bhabatarini) of 1855.
Panihati, a small town in the neighbourhood of Kolkata has both religious and historical importance. In the earlier era, it was a famous trade centre. It used to trade with Jessore. This town was called by the name of ‘Pannyahati‘. In the sixteenth century this place was a major centre of the Vaisnabas, and even the Shaibas, the Tantrics and the Buddhists had their centre of worship here. So naturally this place is very holy (Punnya Hatti). Later on it may be converted to Panihati.Continue reading Panihati Rasmancha